There are lots of things to keep in mind when starting a business. The following are some questions to keep in mind followed by resources where you can find the answers and complete required paperwork and filings.
Please keep in mind that this list is not all inclusive. It is not intended to replace proper business planning, provide legal guidance or advice, or to be a complete comprehensive listing of necessary steps.
- Is the location where you will operate properly zoned?
- Marion City Zoning Office, Marion City Hall, 740-383-4114
- Is your business located within the Downtown Business District and subject to signage and exterior appearance regulations?
- Marion Regional Planning, Marion County Building, 740-223-4140
- Have you registered with the Marion City Income Tax Department?
- Marion City Income Tax Dept., Marion City Hall, 740-383-5254
- Have you properly organized, incorporated, or registered your business?
- An attorney and/or financial adviser
- Ohio Secretary of State, Business Services, 877-767-3453
- Have you obtained the necessary State of Ohio vendor’s numbers?
- Marion County Auditor, Marion County Building, 740-223-4020
- Will your business involve food which will require a food permit?
- Marion Public Health, 740-387-3604
- Have you obtained necessary Federal Identifications such as Federal Employment Identification Number?
- Do you have additional questions regarding State Taxation?
- Ohio Department of Taxation in Columbus, 614-387-1831
Additional Resources and Contacts
Ohio Department of Development – 1st Stop Business Connection, 800-248-4040
Ohio Department of Development – Small Business Development Centers, 800-848-1300
Office of Marion Scott Schertzer, Marion City Hall, 740-387-3591
Clerk of Council, Marion City Hall, 740-387-4935
Law Director, Marion City Hall, 740-387-4817